Happy Friday everyone! Hope everyone’s week has been going smoothly. I’ve been enjoying a fairly mellow week and am excited to spend time with family and friends this weekend. Reading wise I’m having a bit of a slow (or at least it feels like it to me) month, which is why I haven’t been posting as much.
However, I wanted to end the week off by doing the Birthstone Book Tag. This tag caught my eye a while ago, because I love jewelry and have long been fascinated by the history and meanings associated with gemstones. I haven’t had the opportunity to share this post until now and I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed putting it together. This tag was created by Heather from Booktables and all credit for it belongs to her.
- January (GARNET): Associated with warding off negative forces and dark energies – Name a book with the darkest/evilest character you can think of.
Peter Knox from ” A Discovery of Witches” is the first villain that came to mind. He kills the main character, Diana’s, family and will stop at nothing in his quest for power
2. February (AMETHYST):Purple is associated with royalty – Name a book with regal qualities
Tais from the Zarryiostrom series is an incredibly regal character. Even her uncle, who usurps the throne, thinks she’ll make an excellent queen. Not only is Tais beautiful, but she is also proud and intelligent.
3. March (AQUAMARINE): Washed out – Name a ‘wishy washy’ character, a character who is not strong or a follower
I mildly resent this characterization of my birthstone lol, BUT if I had to choose somebody for this tag then it would be Brother Qowyn from “The Name of All Things”. He switches sides easily and always looks to somebody else for a plan rather than making his own.
4. April (DIAMOND): A diamond in the rough – Name a book that you loved but is not well known
In my opinion, Court Duel by Sherwood Smith is seriously underrated. Sherwood Smith created a rich world with well developed characters. I really loved seeing Meliara’s character growth throughout the story and the romance was a slow burn, exactly how I like it.
5. May (EMERALD): Said to balance energy – Name two characters who balance each other well
Charlotte and Henry from the Infernal Devices come to mind. Henry is a dreamer and Charlotte is a pragmatist so they balance each other really well. I love their relationship and the way they constantly support each other no matter what
6. June (PEARL): Associated with loyalty – Name a character who is loyal to the end
Aelin from “Throne of Glass” is loyal to her homeland, Terrasen, and to her friends. Her loyalty is one of her most admirable characteristics.
7. July (RUBY): Blood red – Name a book that made your blood boil, one that made you angry
This series had a lot of promise, but I really didn’t enjoy the direction that the Ember Queen took. There were so many times during this book that I wanted to throw it across the room out of shear frustration
8. August (PERIDOT): Pale green (it pales in comparison to other gems) – Name a supporting character who you like better than the main character
I wasn’t a fan of the main character, Erin, in this story, but I really like the supporting characters of Adjila and Shevaun. I thought they were much more developed and I enjoyed their somewhat unorthodox love story.
9. September (SAPPHIRE): Blue like the ocean which is calming – Name a book that had a calming affect on you
I really enjoy this story and Anne Elliot is such a mellow character that I find her perspective calming. This is my favorite book by Austen.
10. October (OPAL): Name an iridescent book, this can be a book with a beautiful cover (Shiny? Lots of color?) or you can base it off of a character (Quirky? Colorful?)
11. November (TOPAZ): Associated with resilience – Name a books with a character who rises to the top in a time of adversity
Elloren definitely has to face her share of adversity including dealing with her grandmother’s legacy and the current political situation in her country. I’m confident that she will over come all of the challenges ahead.
12. December (BLUE ZIRCON): Associated with friendship – Name a book with a friendship you want to be apart of
I’m definitely choosing Danika and Bryce for this one. Theirs is a friendship that literally survives death. Now who wouldn’t want a friend like that?
I really hope that you enjoyed this book tag. Let me know if you have read any of these books and/or if any caught your eye.